Tonight I made calzones for dinner! We used to just enjoy our Italian night of the week in the form of a greasy takeout pizza, but who doesn’t love a homemade calzone? My boyfriend and I have created various concoctions, but this one is definitely a crowd pleaser!
- Trader Joes Garlic Herb Pizza Dough
- Trader Joes Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese (makes 2 calzones)
- 3 Trader Joes Garlic Herb Chicken Sausage
- Fresh Basil
- 1/2 Red Onion
Putting the Calzone Together:
- Take the pizza dough out of the refrigerator, place on a lightly floured baking sheet, and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough and cut into two halves (as shown above) – Preheat oven to 475°
- Use a spoon to ladle as much marinara sauce as you’d like onto the dough
- Place the fresh basil leaves on top of the sauce
- Slice the chicken sausage into medallions, mince the onion, and sauté over medium heat for 5-10 minutes
- Add the shredded mozzarella cheese, chicken sausage and onions atop the basil and sauce
- Fold one side of the calzone over the other
- Use water to press and seal the edges of the calzones. Use a fork to press the edges firmly shut.
- Whisk an egg white to coat the top of the calzone (for a browned surface) -optional
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Enjoy with salad – tonight we had caesar salad!